Saturday, January 12, 2013

Start Today. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

New Year's Resolutions are about to take a nose dive.  After all, today is January 12th.  You don't have to admit to anyone, but yourself, that goals you set so intensely 12 days ago are starting to fade.  I know the secret to real behavior change.  I can tell you what you need to do to be successful long term.  I know what you need to do to make your goals work. 

Do today what you can do again tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day.....



Repeat.  Repeat.  Repeat.

If you want to get healthy, set a goal to eat 5 servings of vegetables every single day.  That's repeatable. 

If you want to be more grateful, set a goal to write 2 handwritten notes every single day.  That's repeatable. 

If you want to improve your marriage, give 30 minutes everyday of undivided, engaged contact (that means put the iPhone in another room for once) with your spouse.  You give more than 30 minutes and you might see even more dramatic improvements in your marriage.  Can you give 30 minutes a day?  That is up to you.  You decide what is repeatable. 

The biggest mistake is setting goals for change that are too high and can't be repeated so they come to a halt too early.  Does that sound like something you might do?

My repeatable goal is at least 30 minutes of physical activity a day.  Every day.  Repeat.  Repeat.  Repeat.  That means that I park far away in a parking lot.  I'm now doing a 5am boot camp three days a week with Titia of Texas Fit Chicks.  I'm walking (looking like I have somewhere to be) in my neighborhood with headphones.  I have even used my bike instead of my car to go to Kroger.  It is doable, manageable, measurable, and good for me.  Repeat.  Repeat.  Repeat. 

Get focused and identify your repeatable goal right now and get at it.  Repeat.  Repeat.  Repeat.  Now that will defiantly keep you Living in the Smart Zone.

~ Susan




1 comment:

  1. I love this advice!! My husband and I have been working on going to bed earlier and it's been hard but we're able to do it because it's a repeatable goal :) Also, just curious if you would by chance know of a good psychologist in Grand Rapids, MI? A friend is looking for one..thanks!

    ReplyDelete